According to the good ol Merriam-Webster: “A ritual is a sequence of activities involving gestures, words, actions, or objects, performed in a sequestered place and according to a set sequence.”
Whatever it is, ritual can be seen in a wide variety of symbolic behaviours and are incredibly common regardless of where – or when – you are on the earth.
In this week’s episode of the Creative Introvert, I’m taking a look at ritual. More specifically: how we can add a sense of ritual to our creative process and by doing so, imbue our daily lives with more meaning.
If you would like to go deeper with this ritual business, I’ve got a special preview of Season 2 of the Seeker and the Skeptic to share with you, where myself and my co-host Rebecca share some ideas for how to create your own ceremony (what I’m calling a fancier form of ritual!)
To download the accompanying guide pdf which also contains a summary of the main elements of ceremony, some questions to ask before designing a ceremony and some symbolic correspondences, and to watch the video itself, simply add your name and email address below:
Here are some things to think about when designing a Start-the-Day-Right Ritual:
1) Have a start time
2) Have an end time
3) Prepare your self
4) Prepare your environment
5) Eliminate distraction
6) State your intention
Questions to ask yourself (and write the answers!)
- How long do I have? (Also consider breaking longer time periods into chunks or pomodoros)
- What’s your purpose? E.g. I am going to write 500 words of this novel.
- What’s your motivation? Why does it matter that you achieve your purpose? E.g. Because this book might become the next bestseller (or this book is going to prove that yes, I too can write a book!)
- What’s my stretch goal? Having a challenge is motivating. When something is too easy, we think it’s just as easy not to do it – we can doit another time. If it’s too hard, we feel overly deterred and don’t even try. But having a medium-to hard stretch goal is jussst right. E.g. 700 words.
- How can I prevent interruptions?
- How can I prevent distractions?
- What tools/resources do I need? Do I have everything I need?
References + Resources:
*Read these books for free on Scribd for 60 days using this link: https://www.scribd.com/g/7anpba
I also shared my latest coaching package, AstroCoaching, a 3-month journey where we work with your birth chart, upcoming transits and your own creative ambitions to help you align with your true path in life.
If you would like to learn more and claim your FREE birth chart reading by the end of August 2020, click this link!
POWERED BY PATREON
This podcast is made possible only by means of my generous supporters on Patreon. Thank you! Supporting the Creative Introvert podcast also gets you lots of goodies, from access to the League of Creative Introverts online community, to online 1-1 coaching, with yours truly. Hitting milestones also funds future projects, and ideas guided by you, my supporters.
If you leave a rating and review on iTunes (here’s how to do that) I will be as happy as a kitten playing with a laser beam (or sob into my pillow, depending on what you write.)