In this week’s episode of the Creative Introvert podcast I talk to Joe Moran, historian of the everyday, about his book on shyness, ‘Shrinking Violets.’
I was a bit surprised to find this is nothing like the self-help books I normally find myself reading, and more of a history/biography/celebration of shyness and I found myself become more and more obsessed with the subject. Naturally – I had to grill Joe about this trait that so many of us introverts also have.
What we discussed:
- The difference between shyness and introversion
- How shyness is more common than you might think
- The value of silence
- Why small talk is actually a very thoughtful thing to do
- Whether or not we blush for a reason
- The difference between shame and embarrassment
- How shyness is seen differently over the world
- Would art exist without the shy?
- Why shyness is like lower back pain
- The Personality Positivity Movement